Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Poem she wrote

You know, instead of Murder She Wrote?

Yeah, I'm clever like that

So

The ornament


And the poem

Which took...maybe 2 days to write?

I was in a bit of a hurry, but I enjoyed it

Enjoy!


Coming Home

Many miles away, o’er land and sea (1,283 to be exact)
In a place that is as dank as can be
Hidden amongst multiple towering hillsides
Lies a city not known far and wide

And dwelling in this unknown land of mist
(Who, fortunately, no longer works the night shift)
A beautiful maiden and her beloved groom
Trying to survive this city of gloom

Buried under piles – no, mountains of snow
They’ve suffered through weather of 0 and below
Warming their bones with gallons of hot chocolate
Stealing all of the blankets from their now barren closet

They can’t ever trust the roads in this strange land
One-way streets as far as the eye can see? Not so grand
Too many hills, their car labors in pain
(It’s exponentially worse with the freezing rain)

I’m afraid by now you think they only suffer
Not so! For their lives are filled with awe and wonder
They found good friends, with whom they smile and laugh
(So much, in fact, it would surpass any graph)

Yet, for all of their friends, the beautiful girl was very sad
For her loved ones dwelt half-way ‘cross the land
And she missed her mountains, so majestic and fair
And the food! So delectable and beyond compare!

“I really don’t like this city” the fair maiden stated
“Except for our friends, all of the people are jaded”
“They’re crazy!” she said “You’ve seen how they drive!
I’ve run out of fingers to count the times we’ve almost died!”

“I miss my family and all of the fun we share
The jokes, the laugher…nothing could ever compare!
I’m tired of this cold and dreary place
I can promise you, I’d much rather be driving a case!”

“I want to see my nieces and nephews grow up
I’m losing my spot as the most favorite grown up!
I’m the entertainment! My family needs me around!
Without my sparkling personality? They’re as dry as the ground!”

Her spouse commiserated, sighed, and agreed
But with no job prospects it won’t happen, they had to concede
So they twiddled their thumbs and they waited
Hoping that, one day, their small home could be vacated

Then, magically, one day out of the blue
The gentleman got some wonderful news
“They’re hiring!” he exclaimed “And they want to converse!”
“Well, I’m not hoping” stated the lady “That would be the worst”

Weeks passed and many talks were had
They hoped and prayed the news wouldn’t be bad
They said not a word as to not raise any hopes
How awful would it be if ended up with a big nope?

Finally, after what felt like eons had past
They had joyous, fabulous news they had to share fast
“This is it!” he shouted “I have my dream job”
“You mean it?” she asked as she started to sob

“We need to tell everyone! Get on the news!
Let’s throw a party! Put on your dancing shoes!
We’re going home! I can’t believe this day has come!
I couldn’t care where we live, I’d stay in the slums!”

“Just take me home, back to my loved ones so dear
It will work out when we arrive, I’d even live with the deer!”
So, the fair maiden and her groom left behind the cold city
Anxious to return to their home, to the land so stunningly pretty

And what said the family of the lady so fair?
With such a surprise, did they do more than stare?
She hopes they’re jumping and screaming for joy
But, in reality, some are crying and others are being coy (dad is obviously the one crying ;) )

But how do they start? What do they do?
They have so many things those who help them could sue!
They’ll start with the biggest and baddest of all
Send it to mom and dad, surely they’ll have a ball

The kitchen sink it is!! It always takes up so much space
And since mom is so practiced with it, she’ll know just the place
As for the rest of the stuff in this house
Hopefully aid will come from more than just her spouse 

6 comments:

Dazee Dreamer said...

What a great poem. And a great husband that cares so much about you that he worked to get you back with your family.

Julie said...

That is cute. And you're home, sweet home! Have you found a place to live? Like your own home or still with you sister though that's not terrible either.
I am glad you are back where you wanted to be. It's awesome to have the Lord answer prayers the way we want him too. Even if it takes him a wee bit longer than we'd like him too.
Take care and have a blessed evening.

Sara & Co said...

Yay!!! Back to Utah! That was extremely clever and creative haha

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

Yay!!This is the most gleeful poem I've read in a long time.
Leave the sink, just get home where you belong. Congratulations to you and the hubs. Party on!

Pat Tillett said...

I"m so happy for the both of you! Who knew, that your adventure would lead you back to where you started? You summed it all up in your great poem too. nice one! Try to stay warm!

Julie said...

Hey you!!! Just checking to see if I had missed anything. What have you been up too? How's life? Enjoying your summer? Hope all is awesome! Blessings my friend!!