Monday, September 1, 2014

A bit of an update

Well, it's been a long week and a half over here, but I feel like we're starting to make some progress towards a happy ending

I did end up in the ER last Monday because I was so dehydrated

We checked in, told them why we were there, they got me hooked up to an IV, which included something for my nausea, and then the doctor wanted to know what was going on, etc

So I told him which resulted in him wanting a urine sample, an EKG, etc

He did come in at some point and said to me "Well, looks like you're a little dehydrated..."

Thank you??

I ended up having 2 bags and they sent me home with a report to give my doctor

It's amazing how much better my body felt with fluids!!

When I saw the doctor/surgeon the week before that to see about a scope (when I thought I was getting a scope and fasted the morning beforehand for no reason...) he changed the antacid I was on to a different one because what I was on didn't seem to be making a difference (either of the medications, honestly)

After I started taking the new antacid things improved

I don't know if it was just the antacid or if my body was starting to heal, or maybe both, but this last week has been easier at least in the drinking/eating department

Of course, that's also when I started getting really nauseous at night and that would stick around until 11:00 or 12:00 the next day

So that made sleeping/functioning fun

Anyway, on the day of the scope I fasted (again) and, fortunately for me, they had a cancellation that morning so I was able to have my appointment sooner which meant I didn't have to fast as long


They injected me with an other IV (in the same vein, poor veins) and we waited for the doctor to arrive

So I dozed in my hospital bed while Hubby played on his phone

There was a such a party in that hospital room, let me tell you 

They wheeled me back finally, the doctor finally showed up, and the anesthesiologist gave me the drugs to make me sleep

The doctor started talking about how I was going to have to help them get the scope in and not gag it up, etc 

The anesthesiologist rolled her eyes a little and told me not to worry about it because I would be out

The last thing I remember was apologizing to the doctor if I threw up everywhere

And then I got drowsy and the next thing I know they're trying to wake me up, to which I told them (in my head, of course) to leave me alone

I finally gave in and they checked my vitals, etc

Hubby told me he had been waiting for almost an hour before I started stirring

He said the doctor showed him pictures of my esophagus and it was not in a happy state, which allowed me to feel a little bit of vindication

He took a bunch of biopsies of the esophagus and some of the stomach and told us they would let us know

I delayed getting released until my IV bag was empty because I didn't want to chance being dehydrated again

We finally went home and I was glued to the couch (aka my new place of residence) sucking on water the rest of the day

Things stayed status quo for the next few days

I went to bed nauseous, woke up REALLY nauseous, and dozed on the couch until the nausea went away

(and no, I'm not pregnant...the doctors tested me and I tested me)

They called back a few days later and told me what I had was herpes esophagitis

Something I didn't even know existed

(so I promptly googled it...apparently it's rare, because I found very little information on the subject)

The doctor called me in a new prescription that I have to take 3 times a day (I'm getting sick of pills) and told me he was referring me to a GI specialist to see if she had anything else she recommended for speedy recovery

The good news out of all of that is he told me that I didn't have to take the "slime" drink I've been taking anymore that was supposed to be coating my esophagus but that didn't ever end up doing anything (as far as I could tell)

It's not very much, but it's awful, just trust me

Anyway, I started taking the new prescription a few days ago and the nausea worsened

Of course, because since my throat doesn't hurt anymore, there has to be something

The day came for the appointment with the GI

Hubby had to be my chauffeur because I was too sick to drive

The appointment was early in the morning, meaning I couldn't go lay on the couch for a few hours and let the nausea subside

Meaning I threw up 3 times before we left for the appointment

It was a rough morning

And, in my opinion, it was one of the most pointless appointments ever

She expressed surprise at the fact that I have what I have

(like I said, it's pretty rare, especially with people my age, especially when you have a strong immune system [which I do, I hardly ever get sick beyond the seasonal colds] and I've pretty much flabbergasted everyone with this diagnosis)

We talked about the nausea and how that's very common for what I have and how the new medicine I'm taking also messes with your stomach

(Awesome. I'm on a roll)

She prescribed me a pill to help with the nausea so I can hopefully get some sleep and function during the day (hallelujah)

And then wanted more blood work done to see if I had diabetes or HIV, because that would explain the herpesness (yes, I just made that word up)

We weren't there very long (which I was grateful for because I was still feeling really sick)

I gave the blood they wanted (I really, really hate needles...especially when I've been throwing up and am dehydrated)

We picked up my new prescription and then Hubby took me home

I took an anti nausea pill and curled up on the couch and slept for a good while

 When I woke up the nausea had subsided a little bit, thank heavens

Someone called from the doctor's office and told me that my diabetes and HIV had come back normal, so I was cleared from those, thankfully

And then they informed me that they were referring me to see yet another doctor

(is this number 500?)

This one is an infectious disease doctor cause they just want to know why I have what I have dang it!!

Seriously....this is getting old

I get it, I want to know why too, but...come on, give me a break!!

That night I took another one before we went to bed and I slept okay for about 4 hours, but at 4 am the nausea kicked in yet again and I barely slept after that

Of course, I had another appointment that next morning with a different doctor (my new primary doctor)

(have I mentioned that I'm getting really tired of doctors?)

Woke up really nauseous, so our plan for me to take Hubby to work so I could just drive myself to the appointment didn't happen

He came home from work and took me to the appointment, which was really just a get to know you appointment and let's talk about your health history and all of the medications you're taking

She and her little nurse helper person (I really don't know what to call them) were, again, both astonished that I have what I have

Neither of them have ever seen it in their time in the medical field

(when I get sick, I really know how to get sick...go me?)

She kept talking about "if this comes back in the future..."

Really?? Now is not the time to talk to me about the potential of being this sick again

Some of the things I've read and the people I've spoken too say not to worry about getting it again, and then on the opposite end of the spectrum there are those that act like the sky is always falling

I would rather be safe than sorry, but I would also like to hear that this is just a fluke and the chances of it happening again are really, really, really slim

Anyway, she wants me to come back because she thinks it's been too long since I've had a physical (she's wrong, it's never been too long for that) so I have an appointment with her and the infectious disease doctor next week...both of them

Luckily, our insurance is pretty epic, there's only been one prescription it didn't cover and we found a replacement for that

Everything else has been really cheap, so I'm grateful for good insurance right now

I'm just not looking forward to all of our bills we're going to be getting, especially for the ER trip

But, it is what it is, not much we can do about it

The last couple of days I've hardly had any nausea, which has been REALLY nice

I slept REALLY well last night, compared to previous nights anyway

So I'm really hoping I'm past the nightmare part of it and making my way to the bliss of not being sick any more part of it

So yeah, it's been a long monthish, but it appears that things are on the rise

My veins are ready for things to be on the rise, that's for sure

ER visit, scope visit, and diabetes/HIV testing (the throwing up had left me extremely dehydrated so it took a couple of times for her to find a vein)

We found that like....7 hours after the fact

I think we missed one

I promise not to gross you out too much (well, I guess I can't promise that...but I hope it won't), but I figured I'd show you an example of the the pictures he took of my esophagus

That's the good portion

And that's part of the bad portion

So yeah, pretty nasty

I'm ready for it to be over

There were two nights that I slept on the couch instead of our bed and that is the first time that we haven't slept in the same bed since being married (minus when we were in different states, of course) and that I don't approve of

I wore my wedding ring yesterday for the first time in weeks because what was the point of wearing it before when I was going to be asleep on the couch for half of the day and stuck to it for the rest of the day

It's going to take some getting used to again, but this is definitely a getting used to that I'm okay with

Anyway, I hope soon to not plague this blog with my illness

It's not very fun to read about, I'm sure


I'm excited September is here!! Cooler weather, fall colors, sweaters and sweatshirts, soups, hot chocolate, blankets, blankets, and blankets galore

I love it all

Hubby has today off for Labor Day, which I'm super stoked for

So we are watching the 6-hour version of Pride and Prejudice

He's good to me

We've watched almost all of the Jane Austen movies since I've been sick

There's just something about them

They're perfect "sick" movies

And Hubby loves me and humors watching them with me

He even asked me to read Pride and Prejudice to him one of these days

Well color me shocked

I hurried and agreed before he had the chance of taking it back

We're already reading a book together, but as soon as that's done....Lizzie and Jane, here we come

Anyway, it's getting to the stressful part of the movie, so I better close this before I become distracted and forget to finish it

Happy September!!


Meghan said...

I am so sorry you're sick! I hope they find a way to make you better and it doesn't take much longer!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Dear Friend,

I really feel you are a dear friend. I so hoped that you were not this sick. It sounds absolutely horrible.

I am so sorry. I hope you get well soon. Glad you have such a nice hubby.

Dazee Dreamer said...

You poor thing. I feel so bad for you. Too bad you decided to move to a different state. I'm really getting good at being with people in the hospital. And I do change a good dressing if I don't say so myself.

Venassa said...

Wow I'm sorry to hear how sick you've been! I'm glad it's finally getting a bit better. It sounds like you're handling it better than I would be though. Hope you're 100% again soon.

Bridget said...

Oh man, you poor girl!! August was not a great month for you. I really hope September goes better and really hope you never catch that craziness again!! Glad to hear your hubbs is taking great care of you! XO said...

Dehydration is a scary thing. I'm sorry you went through all that. Take good care of yourself - lots of rest and liquids, and plenty of cuddle time with hubs. Glad you're on the mend, but do milk that cuddle time.

Bossy Betty said...

Oh my goodness! What you have been through! I hope you are feeling better. Hugs to you!

Pat Tillett said...

Wow! How did I miss this? I'm so sorry that you are going (or went) through all of this. I hope you feel better by now. I'm also sorry that I haven't checked in here for so long. Take care!