Friday, December 31, 2010

Take that BBC!!

My friend posted this on her blog a few weeks ago, and being the good friend that I am, I hurried right over to my blog I kept forgetting to blog about it I waited for just the right time to post it on my blog :)

Have you read more than 6 of these books? The BBC believes most people will have read only 6 of the 100 books listed here.

I have bolded (and enlargened cause bold isn't readible...yes, all of those words exist. I said so) the books I've read in their entirety and italicized the ones I want to read and plan on reading and underlined the ones I've started (and shranken them all to show a huge difference...yes, that is a word too), a lot of the others I've never heard of sadly...but they're on my list now.

  1. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen 
  2. The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien
  3. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte 
  4. Harry Potter series - JK Rowling 
  5. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee 
  6. The Bible (Old Testament, New Testament) 
  7. Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte 
  8. Nineteen Eighty Four - George Orwell
  9. His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman
  10. Great Expectations - Charles Dickens
  11. Little Women - Louisa May Alcott 
  12. Tess of the D’Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy
  13. Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
  14. Complete Works of Shakespeare 
  15. Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier
  16. The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien
  17. Birdsong - Sebastian Faulk
  18. Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger
  19. The Time Traveler’s Wife - Audrey Niffenegger
  20. Middlemarch - George Eliot
  21. Gone With The Wind - Margaret Mitchell
  22. The Great Gatsby - F Scott Fitzgerald
  23. Bleak House - Charles Dickens
  24. War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy
  25. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
  26. Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh
  27.  Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  28. Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
  29. Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll
  30. The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame
  31. Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
  32. David Copperfield - Charles Dickens
  33. Chronicles of Narnia - CS Lewis 
  34. Emma -Jane Austen
  35. Persuasion - Jane Austen
  36. The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe - CS Lewis
  37. The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
  38. Captain Corelli’s Mandolin - Louis De Bernieres
  39. Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden
  40. Winnie the Pooh - A.A. Milne
  41. Animal Farm - George Orwell
  42. The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown 
  43. One Hundred Years of Solitude- Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  44. A Prayer for Owen Meaney - John Irving
  45. The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins
  46. Anne of Green Gables - LM Montgomery 
  47. Far From The Madding Crowd - Thomas Hardy
  48. The Handmaid’s Tale - Margaret Atwood
  49. Lord of the Flies - William Golding
  50. Atonement - Ian McEwan
  51. Life of Pi - Yann Martel
  52. Dune - Frank Herbert
  53. Cold Comfort Farm - Stella Gibbons
  54. Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen
  55. A Suitable Boy - Vikram Seth
  56. The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon
  57. A Tale Of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
  58.  Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
  59. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon
  60. Love In The Time Of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  61. Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
  62. Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov
  63. The Secret History - Donna Tartt
  64. The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold
  65. Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas
  66. On The Road - Jack Kerouac
  67. Jude the Obscure - Thomas Hardy
  68. Bridget Jones’s Diary - Helen Fielding   
  69. Midnight’s Children - Salman Rushdie
  70. Moby Dick - Herman Melville 
  71. Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens
  72.  Dracula - Bram Stoker
  73. The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett
  74. Notes From A Small Island - Bill Bryson
  75. Ulysses - James Joyce
  76. The Inferno - Dante
  77. Swallows and Amazons - Arthur Ransome
  78. Germinal - Emile Zola
  79. Vanity Fair - William Makepeace Thackeray
  80. Possession - AS Byatt
  81. A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens
  82. Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell
  83. The Color Purple - Alice Walker
  84. The Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro
  85. Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert
  86. A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry
  87. Charlotte’s Web - E.B. White
  88. The Five People You Meet In Heaven - Mitch Albom
  89. Adventures of Sherlock Holmes- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
  90. The Faraway Tree Collection - Enid Blyton
  91. Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
  92. The Little Prince - Antoine De Saint-Exupery
  93. The Wasp Factory - Iain Banks
  94. Watership Down - Richard Adams
  95. A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole
  96. A Town Like Alice - Nevil Shute
  97. The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas
  98. Hamlet - William Shakespeare
  99. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Roald Dahl
  100.  Les Miserables - Victor Hugo
I've only read 9, which is a lot less than my friend has, but...it's a start right? I have read a lot of other books that are NOT on this list...does that count??

We're going to a family party tonight, so I have to go get ready

One of my goals is to read 10 more books on that list above

Another is to fix all of the problems wrong with my body so that I can be as healthy as possible and go to the gym as much as possible

That just requires me having healing powers...so I'll have to work on that

I hope you all have a Happy New Years Eve and that you have fun and enjoy the time spent with your family

Night!!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wish I could say that I have. I never have time to read and when i have tme I dot have the patience to sit down and read a novel.

Dazee Dreamer said...

you have done well on the book reading. sadly, some of those I read in school, many, many, many years ago.

Little Women. Cried my eyes out in that book.

Julie said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR my dear friend. I wish you and yours the very best in 2011. Good luck with your goals and challenges. Other then my weigh loss goals I don't think I'll do any other big goals other then to just make the very best out of 2011. Enjoy every single minute the Lord give us. To feel blessed every single day and thank the Lord for it all.
Take care my dear friend. God Bless you and yours.

Kaleena J. said...

I'm so glad you posted this!! Just barely I said, "i'm in a reading mood but I don't know what book sounds good to read." now I have a whole list to choose from... and to prove the BBC wrong.

Kaleena J. said...

oh and happy new year!

cheers.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I realize how long it's been since I've read. I think I've read only Little women from that list. You have me inspired. :) Happy new year!

Joann Mannix said...

I have read quite a few books on that list, but I am a book nerd. I eat books up like chocolate. It's a lofty goal to have. Good luck on that. And good luck on creating a healthy you. I'm working on that one, too.

Bossy Betty said...

Oooohhhhhh. Now I just want to sit around and read....

jayayceeblog said...

That's an interesting list. I've only read 19 of them and have 2 on the shelf that I plan to read. Will pick up some more of them and keep crossing them off. I've always wanted to read The Count of Monte Cristo. Thanks for sharing the list and happy reading!!!

Laura Darling said...

I read 14 of them. Although I was an English major in college, and a lot of them were required reading for my classes, and I probably wouldn't have picked them up on my own. For example, Bleak House. Aw. Ful. Haha!

This was interesting though, thanks for posting! And Happy New Year!!

Amy said...

I've read 22 of them. Not too bad right? Definitely beats 6. You should add The Life of Pi to your list...then tell me if you liked it or not.

Sandra said...

Yes, I have read that, and unfortunately, it only served to make me feel illiterate!

Unknown said...

wow. took you long enough! :)
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Flore said...

I think I read 10 books of the list, or less....
Happy New Year !
x

flore

Unknown said...

Wow! Thanks for the list! Some of those I might read again. Loved Lord of The Flies.