Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Sugar and spice and all things nice.

I'm sorry to say that it won't be the EXPLOSION of pictures that I talked about.

And it won't even be the mini explosion that I planned on doing in place of the big EXPLOSION.

Because blogger doesn't like those pictures.

And I have to play with them.

So I'll post them tomorrow with the EXPLOSION once the computer is done.

Instead I have a story for you.
I am not a cook.

Being the youngest of 5 girls and with such a big age gap in between all of us (me being so much younger than the rest...)

And having a great, stupendous, marvelous cook for a mother

There was never really a chance for me to cook growing up.

And I was COMPLETELY fine with that.

Eventually though I got pretty good with cookies.

Chocolate Chip, Sugar, Snicker Doodles, you name it.

Chocolate Chip Squares became my specialty.

(If you haven't tried them, you should. They're DIVINE!)

I made them frequently.

But I'm kind of a perfectionist.

And I'm always afraid that I'm going to do something wrong.

So I have to put little reminders on the recipes.

Like what order to put the ingredients in...

(Yeah...I'm a dork I know)

And I always lose the recipe.

So I always have to print a new one and start over

Well last winter I decided to make some.

It had been awhile, so I figured it was time.

I printed out the recipe, wrote my little numbers, and I was good to go.

(1 for the first group, 2 for the second, 3 third)

Made the cookies, cooked them, they came out...

And the weirdest thing happened.

They didn't cook right.

The middle had...fallen for lack of a better term.

The top cooked, the sides and bottom cooked, and the middle kind of cooked...

But the middle and top were NOT touching.

I knew I had put everything in that I was supposed to.

I checked each item as I put it in like 3 times.

So I took them to work and showed Peach.

(She's amazing, and she's the one that introduced me to C.C.S. as we call them)

She couldn't figure out what the problem was.

So she told me to try again.

And I did.

Used the same recipe,
Did the exact same thing.

Even mom didn't know what had happened.

We thought maybe it was mom's oven

Cause Kevin had just fixed it and maybe it made it stronger.

Mr. Boss Man (who is also a good cook)

Said it tasted like the sugar was off.

But I told him I put what the recipe said.

So I decided to try ONE more time.

The cookies still tasted good anyway so me and a girl I work with we're digging at them.

(Literally, we had to dig at them with a knife to get them to come out cause the middle and the bottom together were so hard)

So I made them again.

This time I looked good and hard at each ingredient when I put them in.

And that's when I saw it.

My problem.

And it was so dumb, so idiotic that I started laughing

And wanted to cry at the same time.

I couldn't believe that I had made such an idiotic mistake.

I didn't even want to tell anyone

Because I would have felt like an idiot.

But I did.

Because, while dumb, it was also very funny.

So I did.

And now I'm telling you, my blogging friends.

You can't laugh though!!

Nah, I'll let you.

Cause I laughed too.

Next to sugar I had put a number 1

So, instead of putting 3/4 sugar like it called (white and brown both)

I put 1 and 3/4 cup...

Needless to say, they didn't turn out.

Also needless to say

The girl at work and I that ate them all

Didn't feel so good afterwards...

We had to go on a sugar diet for a week afterwards to recover

It was pretty nasty.

We took a picture of them.

So, here is the picture.

It'll give you a better idea of what happened.





Moral of the story?

Too much sugar is detrimental to cookies and bodies!!

Check your ingredients and don't be dumb like me!

Last but not least...

The other day Trouble drew a picture for Boyfriend.

Told him that in NO uncertain terms was he to leave until she had finished it. (I'm sure she said it just like that too..)

Then she presented him with said picture...

And then she informed him that she had to kiss him before he could leave.

So he obliged.

Then she was fine with him leaving and went on her way.

She's adorable. :)


Hopefully tomorrow things will cooperate and you'll have the explosion.


Night guys!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that picture!!

Haha! I'm laughing. Sorry.

But AT LEAST you kept trying. AND you're soooooo good at it. You make me feel like there is hope for me!! :)

Do you even KNOW how I felt at the start of this post, when you started dropping cookie names???

Someday... :D :D

I might just dream of CCS tonight if I look at the post for one nanosecond more!

Dazee Dreamer said...

hahahaha, I so hate it when I read the recipe wrong. I feel your pain. (But totally digging the purple top you had going on)

Jessica said...

I have a story that'll make you feel so much better. I was making pie crust dough from my Grandma's recipe. I had difficulty interpreting her handwriting and added 1 CUP instead of 1 TABLESPOON of sugar!! It was actually delicious with the fruit pies, but then I had the misfortune of trying a meat pie with it. No bueno!!

Meghan said...

I'm glad you figured out what the problem was. One time I made a pizza for sunday dinner and put 1/2 cup of salt in the dough instead of 1/2 tsp and needless to say we tried to scrape the sauce, cheese and toppings off the top and just eat that but the salt had ruined it all.

Venassa said...

Haha at least you figured it out. Usually when I mess something up, it's just me being bad at baking, there's no real reason that I can see for it not turning out.
I love hearing stories about Trouble. I love her attitude.

Baby Sister said...

Lol. Well at least I'm not alone.
Thank you all for sharing in my misery!
One day Girl, one day... :)